The GT-R’s original equipment (OE) brake discs just don’t have the staying power when pushed to the limits. Premature brake disc cracking is something no one wants to see after a day of fun. It didn’t take long for many to realize this is one of the few areas of weakness in an otherwise incredible car.
Quickly responding to customer demand, STILLEN is now offering AP Racing upgraded discs that mount straight onto the OE brake hats. These discs have been track proven (Nürburgring, Silverstone and more) on GT-R’s in extreme conditions by professional drivers. They not only lasted much longer without cracking, several drivers reported improved brake pedal feel and easier pedal modulation. The best thing is that these upgraded discs cost even less than standard factory replacements.
These discs are from a new AP Racing casting specifically designed for heavy sports cars. It uses a 72 curve vane design, using the same OE air gap of 17mm and increasing mass with thicker walls. The result is a disc with higher thermal capacity which is needed on a vehicle that is heavily tracked, very hard to design effective air ducting and sees high disc temperatures.
AP Racing also beefed up the disc flange and bell by using 12 mounting points vs. the OE 10 points.
Here are the highlights:
• Top quality, proprietary iron alloy with multi-stage thermal processing.
• Curved-vane core (72 vanes) for better thermal management under extreme use, more expensive to make, but improved cooling over the OE pillar vane design.
• Available in both Slotted and J-Hook Patterns (not drilled!) to improve pad bite and resist cracking under severe use.
• Precisely balanced at high RPM for smooth operation at any vehicle speed.• Friction faces finished on the latest generation twin-turning equipment, better DTV (Disc Thickness Variation) and less run-out than typical double-disc grinding machines.
• Includes fresh hardware for track-day confidence every day.
• Added bonus: Even priced less than the standard OE discs!
It is always a good idea to replace the brake pads when putting new rotors on your R35, and we recommend the Ferodo DS2500 compound brake pads. Ferodo recommends the DS2500 compound for high-performance street driving and occasional track day use. The good cold friction properties of this pad help it to respond quickly and predictably right out of the box. The DS2500 provides good driver feedback due to less compressibility. While able to take a good amount of abuse from lighter cars with moderate horsepower, For example the GT-R’s power and weight (3,900 lbs.) will start to induce brake fade if pushed hard on the track (max. operating temperature = 950°F).